February 17, 2013

Craft Your Happiness: Love is Priceless


Last night we spent several hours, in the wee hours,  at the Animal Medical Center. Freckle, my 12 year old cat was acting funny. He was in and out of the litter box, chirping, meowing, throwing up. Obvious he was experiencing discomfort.

We thought we could wait until the morning to schedule a vet appointment to avoid emergency room fees, a cab trip at midnight, etc.

But when I laid my head on my pillow and heard him pacing about, my heart broke a little bit.  A short cab ride later we were at AMC (Animal Medical Center).


The vet checked him out; blood-work, x-rays, samples of some sort, and  medical jargon I couldn't follow. We went home with a couple of medications for an infection. Not to mention a HUGE bill. The cost of animal care is really, really expensive.

Oddly, as if he wasn't feeling bad enough, when we returned home (and into the next day) our other cat, Lil Dude responded very dramatically. She hissed and growled at him, wouldn't go near him. According to a few online things I read, it's possible he had scents from the animal hospital that are unfamiliar. Made sense. We sprayed air freshner, wiped Freckle and Lil Dude down with scented baby wipes to neutralize any random smells.

Giving a cat pills and liquid medication is really difficult. We gently wrap him in a towel to avoid all that squirming about. I have to say, all things considered, he takes the medicine like a champ. He's still experiencing discomfort and it's hard to watch.  Anyone who has loved anything living knows what this is like. At the end of the day, there isn't a dime I wouldn't pay to help alleviate the smallest ounce of pain, discomfort or whatever it is that troubles someone, pet or otherwise. My love for this little bugger is priceless.