February 4, 2013

Craft Your Better Self: It's a girl!

3 months ago I was in Haiti. I wanted to write a long, thoughtful post about my experiences but at the end of the day I just couldn't find the right words to describe all that I saw. All that I felt. It was a very personal experience.

One thing I know for sure is feeling like I wanted to do more. People who proselytize about helping people in the US before we help those in other countries most likely haven't been to Haiti (or any third world country for that matter) and have no idea what it would be like not to have running water or indoor plumbing.
Any shelter in the United States has that and more.

After leaving Haiti I knew I wanted had to do more so I began inquiring about sponsoring a child. The coordinator of my trip provided information for an organization called  Friends of the Children of Haiti (FOTCOH). For $25 a month money will be put towards food, health care and an education for a child.

This past Friday I was provided information on my child.  Nedji Christine! (I have her full name but not sure it needs to be spread on the internet)

Nedji-Christine is a 14 year old  young lady currently in 6th grade who attends Evelina Levi School for girls.  She's 5 feet tall and weighs 79lbs (so tiny!). She has no siblings. Her mother is her only caretaker.

I know she'll probably never know the impact her life is having on me, but seeing her photo warmed my heart!

If you're interested in sponsoring a child, which I HIGHLY recommend, check out this website:

Friends of the Children of Haiti  (FOTCOH) Barbara, the organizer, is  a lovely woman.