January 29, 2013

Craft Your Inner Chef: Pasta with Lemon Brussels Sprouts

Keeping my commitment to improving a few things in my life, I've created a home made meal tonight. (inspired by Poppy Talk)

Cooking isn't my strongest skill, but I really do love the idea of knowing what ingredients I'm eating and am happy to say this is a healthy choice.


  • 1 lb brussels sprouts
  • 1 cup  dried pasta (any pasta will do)
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp chili flakes
  • 1/2 a veggie stock cube, crumbled
  • 2 tsp roughly chopped walnuts or pine nuts
  • Juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • Parmesan cheese, for serving
Rinse and trim brussel sprouts and slice thinly. Cook pasta in salt water until al dente. Drain, reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid for later.

Saute brussel sprouts with olive oil, over medium heat,  in a large saute pan. Add  a pinch of salt, red chili flakes, garlic. Saute until tender and slightly golden (approximately 2-3 minutes). Stir in nuts.

Toss in pasta, with remaining 1/2 cup cooking liquid, crumbled stock cube, creating a little bit of a sauce.  Squeeze lemon over the top, stir together. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.