December 6, 2012

Craft Your DIY Craft: Remembering Haiti with a DIY Craft





 Holiday planning is in full swing. I finished up the gifts for my co-workers and started on the next project.

Returning from Haiti I had lots of wonderful memories, gobs of unsorted photos and one bag of sand I scooped up from our day at the beach. Big plans for the sand remained a mystery but I knew it would be some sort of Craft Your Craft project.

During a conversation with Maureen, a fellow traveler and room mate on my trip, we talked about keep- sakes and heartfelt mementos. She mentioned having hosted a holiday party one year, asking people to bring an ornament for her Christmas tree, one that had special meaning to their personal relationship with her. What a fantastic idea!

Here is what I came up with. Christmas ornaments using the sand which I would give as gifts for each person on my trip.

The project itself was a piece of cake. Putting sand in a bottle and decorating it. Finding the perfect sized bottles was another story. They came from a little gem of a website Liquidation Outlet. (mine are 1 ounce sized bottles).

They are small enough to be really cute but large enough not to get lost in a Christmas tree.

With a metallic magic marker I wrote Haiti on one side and 2012 on the other, tied a festive bow around the top, attached a piece of jute rope to hang.

Each bottle is packaged in a  muslin drawstring bag with a hand stamped sentiment all wrapped together in a little tin box. The tins are leftover from a project I started many moons ago.