December 30, 2012

Craft Your Healthy Habits: Get Strong

This past month year I've overdosed in bad foods; Gooey cheese things, greasy fried delights, chocolate goodness.  Like everyone else around the world,  next year I'm going to make more effort to eat better and get stronger. I'm not overweight, so it's not about losing weight but I'd like to be a little bit... firmer.
Here's a few small  things I'm going to add to my routine.
1. Eat more protein: As a vegetarian I always have to make sure I have enough in my diet, but in order to build muscle I really have to ump the ante.
Dr. Oz has these protein shakes I find pretty good. Adding one a day will certainly help.


Ingredients:

3 cups spinach
2 cups ice
1/2 banana
2 tbsp of peanut butter
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk

Mix in a blender.

2. Add some weight: My exercise routine leans towards cardio. It's measurable. I set my watch for 30 minutes, and in 30 minutes I'm done. Therefore, I'm structuring a strength training routine into my week.
Slim Sanity  has a bunch of useful information.
Here are a couple quickies: