October 4, 2012

Craft Your Happiness: 31 Days of Happiness Day 3




November 11th I will be traveling to Haiti. Haiti- the place of  overwhelming poverty, earthquakes and hurricanes. I'll be part of a collective group of  people who are hoping to help communities in need.

To be totally honest I'm anxious about this trip and am not completely sold on the idea.

By the nature of my profession, social work, I more-or-less dedicate my livelihood for a cause greater than myself. (Don't thank me, I'm not Mother Theresa- I do get a pay check)  So I'm no stranger to helping others, but it isn't completely selfless.

I've also done months of volunteer work in London, weeks in Ecuador and Guatemala and lots here in the US. But there was always something in it for me.

While in London, aside from being in a super cool place and the tremendous traveling opportunities, I gained valuable social work experience.

In Ecuador, my love of animals was nurtured and at the end of my volunteer commitment I skipped over to the Galapagos Islands and vacationed. Being in Guatemala I was also able to study Spanish and at the end of that trip I basked in the sun in Belize.

This trip is different. I'm paying my own expenses, using valuable vacation time and will be in an area of the world that is severely neglected. There will be no vacation afterwards, no lounging on the beach with a fruity drink in hand. This is a pure, 100% giving to other people without the expectation of anything in return.

On the other hand, this could turn out to be the most rewarding experience of my life.
Having that faith, how can I not be happy?


Day 3: Possibility of Happy!