October 31, 2012

Craft Your Happiness: 31 Days of Happiness Day 31


 Today is the final day of  31 Days of Happiness. Honestly, this task was extremely difficult but for unexpected reasons.

Initially I thought it was going to be a struggle writing a post every single day, especially since I was used to blogging once a week, at best. As it turned out, writing a daily post was a great commitment for me to make.

I'm lazy and only motivated if there are expectations. The expectation was to identify things happy and focus on that and not the other. That's where I found the struggle.

This week was (and still is) Hurricane Sandy. Totally destroyed lives. My office reopened today since its closing on Monday 10/29. The office was like a ghost town.

Aside from myself and supervisors only 3 other people showed up. Seemed highly unfair to me. How come I couldn't stay home? It took me over 3 hours to complete an otherwise easy 20 minute commute not to mention having to figure out how to get home. Again, why didn't I stay home?

How can one find happiness in a crap day? I'm going to give it a try.
1. I wasn't without power. Good.
2. My loved ones are safe. Getting better.
3. My pets were sweet and comforting while we were hunkered down.  Really getting better.
4. Our summer cottage was safe and without damage (or so I've been told). I'm feeling a toe tapping.
5. The work week is shorter. Definitely grooving on that.

And so on. The point to be made after 31 Days of Happiness is knowing happiness is  not always going to come in big ways. I'm trying to remember this, and it's super, super difficult. If I had done 31 Days of things that make me unhappy, I could go on and on and on. And on. The list would never ends.

On my walk home (all 42 blocks) I bitched and moaned about what a crap day I had. But, I shifted that energy- at least a little bit-by simply remembering it's Halloween today, which means candy and candy brings all kinds of Happy.

Day 31: I've accomplished my goal of blogging 31 days about things that make me happy. This makes me happy!