October 25, 2012

Craft Your Happiness: 31 Days of Happiness Day 25

I am 25 days into my 31 Days of Happiness daily log commitment.  Last night I was trying to think about things that make me happy and sometimes the obvious escapes me. It's easy to be happy about the big things. But, big things don't happen everyday. Finding daily  happiness at work, in our relationships, friendships, is also not easy. (That's why happy hour exists)

But every single day I feel nothing but  happiness with my two pets. (I challenge anyone who has a pet to disagree.)

10 years ago I put my cat, Peanut, "down"- as they say. It was a painful decision  I'm still not sure was 100% the best thing. But as I reflect on happiness,  I'll tell you she was a gem of a cat. My boyfriend at the time was a physician and the hospital was doing animal testing for lasik eye surgery. The nurses adored her. When it was time for her to be "put down", they just couldn't bare that to happen. They smuggled her out and looked for a home. My boyfriend called me and asked if I wanted a cat. "No!" I couldn't  handle the responsibility, I could barely take care of myself. A few minutes later he knocked on my door, pet carrier in hand.  Opening  the carrier, out popped a sweet little kitty. She was a delight every moment I had her (7 years).

After her passing, I knew I wanted needed another one. When the time was right, I went to Bide-A-Wee animal shelter. Walking down the cat aisle, wanting every one of them young and old.

There was one, laying on his side, paw sticking out, wanting to play. When they took him out of his cage, I picked him up and snuggled him in my neck. He rubbed his face against my ear. Done. He's mine. Freckle is now 10 years old and has been nothing but a bundle of goodness.

Two years ago in an odd turn of events we adopted another kitty. My honey (Mark) is a property manager and was notified by one of his superintendents that a cat had been wandering around on the second floor of an apartment building. Despite postings, no one had claimed  her for several days. The Super had been caring for her and wanted to know what he should do.

My honey had consulted me. We both felt, having an older cat, it might not be a good idea to get a second one. But, I said, before you take it to the shelter, stop by our apartment. I wanted to see her.

He brought her home. I opened the box and to my surprise was the sweetest, cutest, most precious little kitten. She wasn't a cat, she was a tiny 6 month old kitty. Done. She's ours. Lil Dude is two years old and I couldn't imagine our lives without her.

Pets are wonderful reminders that we're loved. There is absolutely no better way to get instant happiness than being around them!

Day 25: My pets make me happy!