October 19, 2012

Craft Your Happiness: 31 Days of Happiness Day 19


artwork: Justin Teodoro
With a little help from my friends is not only a great Beatles song, but am important reminder that we don't have to struggle alone. Part of my ego is always wanting to do things on my own.

Several reasons for this. 1. I know how to do it best. 2. Involving others can be more trouble than it's worth 3. Asking for help is a sign of weakness. It's not always purposeful, sometimes I don't even realize I need help until someone offers it. Then suddenly life seems so much easier. A little bit brighter.

My boyfriend and I have a summer cottage and an apartment. Ever since moving into both of these I've struggled with arranging furniture and decorating in a way that is welcoming, functional and allowing lots of people to gather 'round. I'm embarrassed to admit how much money I've wasted on redesigning.

Apparently I've been talking about this a lot because a friend of mine decided to help me and not just in a supportive, "Let's talk about it over and over " way.  She came over, visualized ideas and helped move furniture all over the place. The final result is wonderful and I'm relieved to have had the help. I needed it and didn't even know it.

It was then I decided I can't tackle certain things on my own. I got in touch with Breathing Room, a service that's designed to help with these exact  kind of issues. What a tremendous relief to have someone come in,  tell me what I need and how to get it.

Honestly I can't believe I would ever do things with out the help of others, it really makes life so much better.

Day 19: Having supportive friends makes me happy!