October 24, 2012

Craft Your Happiness: 31 Days of Happiness Day 24

Television shows have had an interesting impact on my professional interests. Back in the 80's there was a tv show called LA Law. It was  great show, won lots of awards; great writing, fantastic acting. It was then I decided I wanted to be an attorney. But somewhere along the way, probably the minute the show went off the air or something to do with a bar exam, I lost interest. As quickly as I saw myself arguing law stuff in front of a jury wearing a sharp suit and great shoes, I saw myself wearing scrubs.

Bring in  ER. George Clooney, Goose from Top Gun, Noah Wiley. Another stellar cast with compelling story lines and pretty faces. Nothing made first year medical residency look like so much fun then watching George Clooney swooning over the ladies. It was then I decided I wanted to go to medical school.

 Mind you, I'd just graduated with  my masters degree  in social work, barely having begun my chosen profession when I went back to school and enrolled in Organic Chemistry- a requirement for medical school.

Somewhere between Organic Chemistry II and Friends, I realized I didn't have the intellectual energy to continue down that road and packed my text books in a box.  After the movie Social Network I wanted a job where I could  ride a skate board around the office and enjoy margarita happy hours at 3pm on Fridays. Currently, because of Homeland, I want to be a CIA agent. Will it ever end?  Good thing this season of  Dexter isn't so great who knows what influence it could have had on me. (that's meant to be a joke)


I've been a social worker for a long time, there are days I enjoy what I do and lots and lots of days I don't. One of the biggest reasons I started this blog was to focus energy on personal areas of joy. It's not possible for my job to have the perks I'd like. I could "reinvent" myself and start all over again at something else. Even that's not so easy. So, the advice I've been using until I really figure it all out, is, if work isn't being all that it's cracked up to be, find something that is.

Day 24: I'm happy I have places where I feel happy.