August 6, 2012

Craft Your Better Self: Complete 101 goals in 1001 days!

While lounging around on the internet I read a post from a favorite blog of mine, Oh Hello Friend, who had created a giant  list with over 100 items on it. The goal was to accomplish everything on that list within 1001 days.

Lists fascinate me. At any given time I have a dozen of them swirling around. Some are in my head, which I forget immediately. Others are on random scraps of paper. The rest are more categorized and  focused; like a shopping list, which, over the last few months have been created while under duress.

When Mark and I would go shopping at places like Target or Wal-Mart I'd immediately negotiate going our separate ways. "Honey, you go get the shampoo, while I go and get duct tape." Then I'd quickly get the duct tape and spend the rest of the time wandering. (To optimize your shopping time, the key is to keep moving about  the store, not spending too much time in one area)  He's since caught on. Now when we shop he'll say, "What do we need to get?" Implying this shopping experience is not open ended but with a goal.

Danni's, of Oh, Hello Friend, 101 list is actually part of a bigger community of list makers. Day Zero Project. Apparently this all  began in 2010 and has a huge cult following.

I'm not sure if creating a list of 101 things to complete in 1001 days will inspire me or overwhelm me. But I'm willing to give it a try.

I'm halfway through creating my list. This is what I have so far:

101 in 1001 days. 

FAMILY & RELATIONSHIPS
  1. Plan trip for my parents 50th
  2. Plan another get away with girlfriends
  3. Go on at least one date with Mark a month for 6 months to someplace new (3/6)
  4. Cook dinner once a week and eat at the dinner table
CREATIVE & LEARN
  1. Upgrade my camera
  2. Take a photography class
  3. Learn to play one Pearl Jam song on my guitar
  4. Learn a poem by heart
  5. Read 72 books (one a month) (2/72: The glass castle, The Compound effect)
  6. Write a short story
  7. Complete 5 chapters of my book
  8. Take a writing class
ENTERTAINMENT & TRAVEL
  1. Visit South of France
  2. Visit a natural wonder of the world.
  3. Plan a weekend surprise trip for Mark
  4. Watch the top 50 movies of all time
  5. Spend a weekend in a country B&B
ORGANIZE
  1.  Create space for creating crafts in apartment
  2. Arrange and organize closet
  3. Clean out everything unnecessary from under the bed (achieved)
  4. Remove clutter. Remove clutter. Remove clutter
  5. Refurbish bedroom furniture (getting there, bought the paint!)
  6. Re-do the stairs in the cottage
FOR MYSELF
  1. Go to a fortune teller
  2. Document a "day in my life" in photographs (One photo an hour)
  3. Have a flat stomach without sucking in. sit-ups
  4. Encourage someone to make a list
  5. Plant a time capsule
  6. Write down 5 good things a day for a month straight
  7. Put aside $50 a month for 6 months and then go on a shopping spree
  8. Write a "if anything ever happens to me" letter
  9. Take one photo a day for 6 months and make a coffee table book
  10. Complete a 100 push-up challenge 
FOR OTHERS
  1. Put change in someone's expired parking meter
  2. Surprise someone
  3. Write 10 handwritten letters
  4. Send some fun mail to 5 friends
  5. Leave an inspirational note inside a book for someone to find (achieved 9/4/12)
  6. Pray for someone for a month straight. repeat
  7. Volunteer in a foreign country
  8. Donate $25 each month, to a different charity.
FUN
  1. Start a book club at the Cottage (achieved August 26, 2012)
  2. Go skinny dipping
  3. Bike the North County Trailway (Achieved 8/30- half of trail)
  4. Attend a taping of Martha Stewart show
  5. Paddle Mohegan Lake in its entirety in The River Raft
BUSINESS & CAREER & MONEY
  1. Work on secondary source of income
  2. Resurrect watch business or develop some other business
  3. Redesign my blog
  4. Blog daily for 30 consecutive days
  5. Give out 50 business cards to non-friends/family
  6. Post a video to You Tube with a DIY project
  7. Put away $1000 a month for 6 months straight (Halfway there 9/4/12)
  8. Do not buy anything for myself for one whole month
  9. Do not use credit card for one month
  10. Learn and invest money in the stock market