April 23, 2012

Craft Your DIY Craft: Hand Painted Bird Pillow

This episode of Portlandia, Put a Bird on it, had me in tears. Good tears. Anyone who crafts knows how funny it is when you learn how to do something and suddenly find yourself buried in it, wondering "What else can I put this design on?"                                                                                                                                           
When my sister moved into her first apartment she had a Goose stencil. Next time I visited, everything in her apartment had a goose on it. My mom thought it was very cute, probably because she was the one who gave my sister the stencil.

Anyway, this information provides a little back story to my current DIY project. While browsing through the most recent CB2  catalog I found this cute pillow.  The pillow is a little pricey so I decided to craft my own. I created a stencil, bought some fabric,  paint and.. yup... say it with me-  Put a bird on it.


What you'll need:



How to Steps:
1. Cut two equal size pieces of fabric,  the size you want your pillow
2. Use any image to create a stencil. Mine is 10"x 12". 
3. Position stencil where you want it onto fabric, secure with pins (optional)
4. Trace picture onto fabric. 
5. Paint image.
6. Sew fabric pieces together, fill with pillow insert, sew up the rest. (I didn't show the tutorial on how to make the pillow. If you need help with this check out this DIY pillow tutorial from addicted 2 decorating)

That's all there is to it.