March 27, 2012

Craft Your Better Self: Cherish memories

Today was my birthday! I’ve always loved my birthday. I know it signifies getting older, closer to death, wrinkles. But, there’s also parties, sweets and presents. A favorite childhood birthday memory was in 1977 at McDonald’s. This was before they had a  kids section filled with bouncy balls and other organized birthday features. My group of giggly friends ordered happy meals and wore the same paper hats as the kids flipping burgers. The manager delivered the cake, decorated with Ronald McDonald’s giant red face, to our table and sang happy birthday. It was all pretty special but, the magical moment happened when he leaned over and kissed me on the cheek.
Since then I’ve had a bunch of memorable birthday moments:
  • My dad surprising me with two white bunnies which we named Flip and Flop.
  • Slumber party madness
  • Receiving an aquamarine flower ring from my parents for my 13th birthday, which I still have.
  • My mom designing a beautiful emerald ring for my 16th birthday which was also a terribly sad occasion because my grandmother passed away the same day. (My dad sang 16 candles to me while driving back from the funeral. A very bitter sweet moment.)
  • In 1987, my 18th birthday, I was given a car which was a hand-me-down from      my   sister, a 1979 Dodge Omni that stalled in the rain and had a broken gas odometer.
  • Having cake delivered to me while away at college. Nothing makes    a  college kid smile more than free dessert!
  •  40th in Jamaica with childhood friends
  •  80's themed 41st birthday with BFF (whose birthday is 3 days before mine.)
                                                                                                                                                         
Capping off the end of my 30's Mark threw me the most amazing surprise birthday party I will never forget.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
 It’s breathtaking to be surrounded by so many people you love, at one time.
This year I’m in Florida celebrating with Mark and my parents, continuing the tradition of creating memorable birthday moments.